13 June 2007

Good News Bad News

While enjoying my 4:30 a.m. coffee, a story came on my local news about the new definition of retirement. Fewer people are taking a tropical retirement and more are staying put in suburubia. Why? Well it's a good news bad news story. The good news... Boomers are living longer and are earning more than the previous generations. The bad news, they also working longer-- some because they don't want to leave the workforce, others because they can't. The the oldest boomers are turning 62 next year and become eligible to collect Social Security. But many will continue to work. The article suggests one reason that many will continue to work is that fewer employers offer healthcare to retirees. I guess I'll be hearing that 4:30 alarm for longer than I thought.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home